Going back to school to change careers is a major, life-altering decision, especially when relocation is involved. And, with countless students sitting idle on nursing school waitlists in their home states, it’s becoming more and more common for qualified applicants to relocate to earn a BSN degree.
Take our Accelerated BSN program in New York for example. Designed for career changers, this 16-month, accredited nursing program is set up in such a way that allows us to handle higher student enrollment capacities than most other schools. Plus, we offer program starts three times a year, in January, May and August.
So, if you’re someone who can’t wait to get into nursing school, you should really consider our accredited ABSN program in Syracuse. And should you need to relocate for nursing school to New York to enroll, we can help make your move to our neck of the woods as seamless as possible.
Top 4 Benefits of Our Relocation Program
With the help of local real estate company, Longley-Jones, we’ve developed a special relocation program for students enrolled in our accelerated BSN program in New York to help get them moving on their nursing education.
Through the program, students have access to a wide variety of apartment styles in the Liverpool-Syracuse area. Just visit the Longley-Jones website, and you’ll find everything the company has to offer. As an ABSN student at Utica College, you also have access to the following perks:
Dedicated Relocation Specialist
A relocation specialist is available to help you identify apartments that meet your criteria as well as schedule appointments for you to check out these living spaces (even during off-hours).
Pre-approved Rental Application
A pre-approved rental application helps you secure your new apartment as fast as possible.
While most rental properties have 12 or 24-month leases, you only have to sign a 16-month lease, which is the exact length of the ABSN program. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about renewing your lease after a year or paying any month-to-month fees.
Many of the apartments available through Longley-Jones are located near our ABSN program site, meaning you don’t have to travel far for your nursing skills and simulation labs.
Top 6 Don’ts of Apartment Rental
While our relocation program exists to help ease the stress of moving to a new city, there are still some factors you, as a vigilant renter, need to remember prior to securing an apartment.
- Don’t forget to get renters insurance to cover your personal belongings against theft and damage, as well as any damage you may cause to the apartment.
Don’t commit to an apartment location before doing some reconnaissance. It’s ideal to scope out the area at different hours of the day to truly gauge the type of environment you’d be living in. If that’s not an option you can use online resources, such as city-data.com, that provide statistic data by zip code.
- Don’t forget to inspect the apartment by checking the appliances and electrical sockets—imagine how annoying it will be if you can’t put your TV in a certain spot because the outlet doesn’t work. Check the cabinets to look for signs of insects or rodents. Also take note of whether or not you can hear your neighbors through the walls—if so, it could become distracting when trying to study for an exam.
- Don’t rent an apartment that stretches your finances too thin. Know the maximum amount you’re able to spend on rent and then look at rentals slightly under that amount. However, don’t pick an apartment solely on price. If the price is way lower than what you’d normally expect, you might be looking to rent in a not-so-desirable neighborhood.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. There’s usually always some wiggle room when it comes to apartment leases—just negotiate in moderation as property managers can’t budge on certain issues.
- Don’t forget to take photos of any scratch, dent, hole and/or stain inside the apartment before moving in. This extra step could prove highly valuable when it comes time to move out and someone wants to blame any pre-existing damages on you.
Now Let’s Get Moving!
If you’re tired of sitting on a nursing school waitlist, your time to become a nurse could be now if you relocated to Syracuse to pursue a quality education with Utica College. Take action and contact our admissions team today!