Utica ABSN Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Below are answers to the most common questions we receive about our Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
1. Can you offer advice for someone interested in Utica’s ABSN?
Our accelerated nursing students say it best.
2. How many ABSN program start dates are offered a year?
Our ABSN program location has three start dates a year, in January, May, and August.
3. What are the admissions requirements for the ABSN program?
Eligible students must have a minimum of 65 college credits in a non-nursing field with a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale. You may also need to complete prerequisite courses before entering our accelerated nursing program. These prerequisites encompass general and natural science coursework. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in the general prerequisites and an overall 3.0 GPA or better in the natural science prerequisites.
4. Can I retake any of the prerequisites?
Yes, we allow one retake of any two prerequisite courses.
5. How can an online nursing program prepare me for the real world?
Our accelerated nursing program is not 100% online. It follows an effective sequence of online coursework, hands-on learning, and real-world clinical experience that prepares students to sit for the NCLEX and graduate as sought-after nurses.
6. How many clinical hours must I complete?
Experiential learning is an important part of our ABSN curriculum. You can expect to complete 225 hours of skills and simulation labs at our program site and 588 hours of clinical practice in local healthcare facilities.
7. How many days per week will I be at the in-person?
As part of the program’s in-person practicum, you can expect to be at our ABSN learning site approximately three to four days per week.
8. I don’t live near the ABSN learning site in Syracuse, do I need to move?
Our ABSN program requires you to come to our program site on a regularly scheduled basis. Therefore, it is important to at least live within driving distance of our location.
9. Why is the program’s NCLEX pass rate so important?
The NCLEX is a national exam all nursing school graduates must take and pass to receive the appropriate nurse licensure that allows them to practice the profession. Our 2019 graduates’ first-time NCLEX pass rate in Syracuse was 89%.
10. Can I work during the program?
Our full-time, 16-month accelerated nursing programs follow a rigorous, fast-paced format that requires a lot of time and energy. Some of our ABSN students work during the program, but many choose not to. Your admissions representative is a good resource to help you understand your options.
11. How long do accelerated nursing programs take?
As few as 16 months for our accelerated nursing program. However, timeframe varies from program to program and also depends on what prerequisites you need to take.
Contact us with additional questions about our ABSN programs.