UticaABSN Program FAQs
Below are the answers to our most frequently asked ABSN program questions.
1. How many UticaABSN starts dates are available each year?
UticaABSN in New York offers three start dates a year, in January, May, and August.
2. What are the admissions requirements for the accelerated nursing program?
To be eligible for UticaABSN, you must have a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field and a minimum GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale in the last 65 credit hours attempted. You must also complete 6 prerequisite courses with a grade of ‘B-‘ or better in natural science prerequisites and grade of ‘C’ or better in the general prerequisites.
3. Can I retake any of the prerequisite courses?
Yes, we allow one retake of any two prerequisite courses.
4. How can an online nursing program prepare me for the real world?
UticaABSN is not 100% online. It incorporates a rigorous blend of online coursework, hands-on learning, and real-world clinical practice to prepare students to sit for the NCLEX and become registered nurses.
5. How many clinical hours must I complete?
You will need to complete 225 hours of skills and simulation labs at our program site in Central New York, and 588 hours of clinical practice at various healthcare facilities in the upstate New York area.
6. How many days per week will I be at the program site and/or clinical rotation sites?
You will spend approximately three to four days per week at these sites.
7. I don’t live in Central New York. Can I complete the clinicals where I live or will I have to move?
UticaABSN students are required to come to our Syracuse-based program site on a regularly scheduled basis—making it important to live at least within driving distance of our location. Relocation services are available, including 16-month apartment leases, for students who might need to move here.
8. Why is the program’s NCLEX pass rate so important?
Every nursing school graduate must take and pass the NCLEX exam to receive the appropriate nurse licensure that allows them to practice the profession. Our 2016 first-time ABSN NCLEX pass rate of 97% proves our accredited program delivers successful outcomes.
9. Can I work during the program?
Our 16-month accelerated nursing program in New York follows a full-time, fast-paced format that requires a lot of time and energy. While some students work during the program, many choose not to. We recommend speaking with your admissions representative to discuss your options.
Contact us with additional questions about our ABSN program in New York.